Currently, I am pursuing a Ph.D. supervised by Dr. Graham Taylor, at the Vector Institute and UoG. I collaborate with RLAI lab at the University of Alberta and have the privilege to work with Professor Rich Sutton.
At 22 I moved to Canada, started from scratch, received B.Sc. with honors, Computer Science from Ryerson University, and an M.B.A. from University of Toronto, Rotman School of Management. I've been working all the way through all my degrees, starting as RA/TA at the university, then at IBM (2009). The last five years of my corporate life I spent at Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (2010-2015).
Before all of that... I grew up in the middle of Siberia, Russia, in a tiny village, which I left at 16 to pursue an Engineering degree in Saint-Petersburg at ITMO University (completed 4yrs out of required 5.5). While working on my degree I was running a crepe restaurant in Saint-Petersburg (60 seats).
I am interested in deep learning, NLP, dialogue, reinforcement learning, human-computer interaction, communication, and AI ethics.
AI & Society
I am interested in how we will build a new society together with AI and how we will treat AI agents as they develop sentience and sapience.
- Invited Speaker, Toronto Machine Learning Series Micro-Summit, Model-Based Reinforcement Learning, July, 2019
- Invited Speaker, From Lab to Startup - How to Commercialize your AI Research, NeurIPS, 2018
- Advances in automatic document summarization, Vector Institute, 2018
- AI 101, Invited lecture at AI Future Policy Lab, CIFAR, 2018
- Guest lecture at University of Guelph, Modeling Complex Systems, Fall, 2018
- Invited Speaker, Introduction to AI, a lecture for 300 students, Rotman School of Management, Spring, 2018
- Invited Speaker, Machine Learning and Market for Intelligence Conference, 2016
- Interview with Anthony Lacavera, Globalive Media, 2018
- AMII School’s in for summer: Students talk Deep Learning & Reinforcement Learning Summer School 2018
- “Among CDL’s ‘graduating’ companies, which best personifies your vision?” Interview with Ajay Agrawal, Commentwise, 2018
- Axios article, featuring Elissa Strome, Executive Director of the Pan-Canadian AI Strategy, Yoshua Bengio, and Katya Kudashkina, DLRL summer school attendee, 2018
- NextAI’s first cohort shows how far Canada’s AI scene has come in past 12 months, IT World Canada, 2017
- Interview for Rotman Morning MBA Student Profile, 2014
- Interview with The Globe and Mail, 2014
Food and Agriculture
I am one of the first 5 scholars of Arrell Food Institute. My other work extends to the Food Safety Culture research, which is a collaborative project between Arrell Food Institute and my startup, Cultura.
Our prior work includes the the report on Ag Research Data Governance Principles.
The startup UDIO AgTech was another attempt to integrate my world of technology with my roots (I grew up on a farm): we built an app and a web platform that first, predicted the yields for selected fields, and then optimized the use of large industrial pumps that supply water into these fields. We focused on tree crops such as almonds, walnuts, pistachios, and operated in California for 2.5 years.