Currently, I am holding a CEO role at Cultura and also pursuing a Ph.D. supervised by Dr. Graham Taylor, at the Vector Institute and UoG. At the moment I am visiting RLAI lab at the University of Alberta working with Professor Rich Sutton.
At 22 I moved to Canada, started from scratch, received B.Sc. with honors, Computer Science from Ryerson University, and an M.B.A. from University of Toronto, Rotman School of Management. I've been working all the way through all my degrees, starting as RA/TA at the university, and then at IBM (2009). The last five years of my corporate life I've spent at Canada Pension Plan Investment Board.
Before all of that... I grew up in the middle of Siberia, Russia in a tiny village, left it at 16 to pursue an Engineering degree in Saint-Petersburg at ITMO University (completed 4yrs out of 5.5 required). While I was working on my degree I was running a crepe restaurant in Saint-Petersburg (60 seats).
I am interested in the intersection of deep learning, NLP, dialogue, reinforcement learning, real-time machine learning, human-machine interaction, and communication.
- From Lab to Startup - How to Commercialize your AI Research, NeurIPS, 2018
- Advances in automatic document summarization, Vector Institute, 2018
- AI 101, Invited lecture at AI Future Policy Lab, CIFAR, 2018
- Guest lecture at University of Guelph, Modeling Complex Systems, Fall, 2018
- Introduction to AI, Invited lecture for 300 students, Rotman School of Management, Spring, 2018
- Invited Speaker, Machine Learning and Market for Intelligence Conference, 2016
- Interview with Anthony Lacavera, Globalive Media, 2018
- Axios article, featuring Elissa Strome, Executive Director of the Pan-Canadian AI Strategy, Yoshua Bengio, and Katya Kudashkina, DLRL summer school attendee, 2018
- “Among CDL’s ‘graduating’ companies to date, which best personifies your vision?” Interview with Ajay Agrawal, Commentwise, 2018
- NextAI’s first cohort shows how far Canada’s AI scene has come in past 12 months, IT World Canada, 2017
- Interview for Rotman Morning MBA Student Profile, 2014
- Interview with The Globe and Mail, 2014
Food and Agriculture
I am one of the first 5 scholars of Arrell Food Institute. Currently I am working on the Food Safety Culture research, which is a collaborative project between Arrell Food Institute and my startup, Cultura.
Our prior work includes the the report on Ag Research Data Governance Principles.
UDIO AgTech was another attempt to integrate my world of technology with my roots (I grew up on a farm): we built an app and a web platform that first, predicted the yields, and then optimized the use of large industrial pumps that bring water into the fields. We focused on tree crops such as almonds, walnuts, pistachios, and operated in California for 2.5 years.